Tottenham 'all in' for £250k-per-week striker with talks also ongoing for Cody Gakpo
2 weeks ago
14
PROTECT YOUR DNA WITH QUANTUM TECHNOLOGY
Orgo-Life the new way to the future Advertising by Adpathway
Published Aug 5, 2026, 7:35 PM GMT+1
Emilio is an experienced football journalist who has worked at Football FanCast for over six years.
After graduating with first-class honours from the University of Central Lancashire in 2019, it didn't take long for Emilio to clinch his first job in journalism at Snack Media, now Valnet.
Emilio has written for a host of the company's biggest past and current football news websites - Vital Football, The Transfer Tavern and Football FanCast.
Emilio's strengths include the intricacies of football transfers, while he particularly enjoys writing about the business side of football. He has covered Tottenham Hotspur on a weekly basis for a number of years now, developing a deep understanding of the culture and what Lilywhites fans engage with.
In his spare time, you can find Emilio travelling the world, or even in a boxing ring.
Tottenham's interest in Cody Gakpo has moved beyond simply being another target on their summer shortlist, but he isn't the only striker under serious consideration.
Spurs have been speaking directly with the Liverpool forward's representatives as Roberto De Zerbi searches for more quality across his attack.
Fabrizio Romano reports that those discussions are active following initial approaches in July. Tottenham believe Gakpo can strengthen them from the left while also providing another option through the middle.
Spurs are still reportedly pursuing Savinho, but the Man City winger would not remove the need for somebody capable of leading the line regularly either.
Dominic Solanke remains a natural centre forward option, albeit one who suffered various injury problems last season, while Richarlison scored a winner against Chelsea during Tottenham's preseason tour.
De Zerbi has spoken warmly about the Brazilian, but also admitted that his future remains uncertain.
REUTERS/Hollie Adams
Gakpo is most comfortable attacking from the left, where he can move inside onto his stronger right foot. However, Liverpool have also used him centrally, giving Spurs a player capable of covering two positions.
Convincing Liverpool is the difficult part.
Gakpo signed a new contract last year and is tied to the club until 2030. Liverpool were unwilling to discuss a departure earlier in the summer, although Romano says their position could now depend on Tottenham's financial proposal and their pursuit of PSG winger Bradley Barcola.
Reports have suggested Liverpool would use the £70 million paid for Anthony Gordon as a guide when considering Gakpo's value.
That would make any deal expensive, especially after Tottenham's already enormous spending on Sandro Tonali, Mateus Fernandes and Jan Paul van Hecke.
That being said, according to reports out of Italy, Gakpo may not be the only major attacker on Spurs' to-sign list.
Tottenham 'all in' for Victor Osimhen with Cody Gakpo talks also ongoing
Victor Osimhen would bring something far more explosive through the centre.
The Nigerian built his reputation at Lille before becoming a title winner with Napoli. His pace, aggressive running and clinical finishing helped fire Napoli to their first Serie A crown in 33 years in 2023, with Osimhen bagging 31 goals in 39 outings across all competitions that year.
Spurs Striker Targets - 25/26 League Goals
Player
League
Goals
Tresoldi
Pro League
19
Torres
LaLiga
16
Osimhen
Super Lig
15
Kroupi
Premier League
13
Vlahovic
Serie A
7
Richarlison
Premier League
11
Osimhen then joined Galatasaray on loan in 2024, where he scored 37 goals in 41 appearances for the Turks.
That form convinced the Süper Lig champions to pay Napoli a national record £64 million to sign him permanently last summer, and offer him a net salary worth around £250,000-per-week, including a handsome £860,000 loyalty bonus and £4 million image rights fee.
Italian journalist Damiano Er Faina now claims Tottenham are going 'all in' for Osimhen.
He adds that contact remains active for Gakpo, suggesting Spurs are working on both situations while De Zerbi pushes for another major attacking addition.
Other reports have already claimed Tottenham explored an opening package worth between £50 million and £55 million for Osimhen, with Galatasaray looking for closer to the fee they paid for him.
Signing both players would require another extraordinary outlay from the Lilywhites, so Tottenham may be keeping separate options alive before deciding where to commit their money.
Gakpo would offer versatility and Premier League experience, but Osimhen would provide the specialist scorer Spurs have lacked since Harry Kane's exit to Bayern Munich.