Language Selection

Get healthy now with MedBeds!
Click here to book your session

Protect your whole family with Orgo-Life® Quantum MedBed Energy Technology® devices.

Advertising by Adpathway

         

 Advertising by Adpathway

How Eric Lauer, Alex Call survived Dodgers trade deadline rumors: ‘Very rare’

2 weeks ago 13

PROTECT YOUR DNA WITH QUANTUM TECHNOLOGY

Orgo-Life the new way to the future

  Advertising by Adpathway

CHICAGO –– In the days leading up to Monday’s MLB trade deadline, the Dodgers’ front office was believed to be discussing potential trades for Eric Lauer and Alex Call.

Behind the scenes, however, conversations were also had with the two players themselves.

Both Call and Lauer — who wound up not getting dealt and will now finish the season in Los Angeles as depth pieces in the club’s pursuit of a third-straight World Series — said Tuesday that they talked with executives about their status and expressed their shared desire to remain with the team.

Ever since arriving via Toronto by trade, Eric Lauer has been perfect for the Dodgers, with a 5–0 record. AP Photo/Scott Strazzante

Each also emphasized how much they appreciated the way their situations were handled, and how they were grateful to still be with the organization after weeks of trade rumors had left their futures in doubt.

“How comfortable and easy everything has been here,” Lauer said. “I don’t think that going to another organization would be the same.”

Alex Call has been good for the Dodgers this season as a backup capable of playing any of the three positions. Getty Images

Lauer had been bracing for trade possibilities ever since the Dodgers initially acquired him from the Toronto Blue Jays earlier this season. 

Though the veteran left-hander has surpassed expectations in his brief tenure with the club, going 5–0 with a 2.96 ERA in nine outings (all of which have been Dodgers wins to boot), he also knew he was serving as a temporary fill-in for their banged-up starting rotation, leaving his roster spot tenuous for the stretch run of the season.

By the time Monday arrived, though, Lauer had an inkling that he might not end up getting dealt.

While he did feel “anticipation building” as the deadline approached, he said his recent discussions with the team had also put his mind at ease.

“They had been pretty open with me communication-wise about what they were thinking, what I was thinking,” Lauer said. “I expressed to them that I wanted to be a Dodger. So I think they took that to heart.

“I think it’s very rare,” he added of the front office’s openness with him. “I’ve never been given this option. I’ve never been told this much about what was going on. So it’s just another testament to the communication here. It’s top of the line, really.”

Sign up for the California Morning Report newsletter

California's top news, sports and entertainment delivered to your inbox every day.

Thanks for signing up!

Lauer will remain in the Dodgers rotation but could also see time out of the bullpen as a long reliever. AP Photo/Scott Strazzante

Call echoed that sentiment, saying he had chatted with president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman as reports repeatedly linked him with a potential move away from the team.

“He wasn’t giving me assurance either way,” Call said. “But [he said] basically that ‘we really respect you. We value what you do. How you approach the game, how you prepare, how you’re ready. That’s the exact type of player that we like.’ … Anytime you hear that type of stuff, you’re just grateful for the organization. It kinda validates what you’re doing.”

Had Lauer or Call been dealt, of course, they likely would have gone to a team capable of giving them more important roles. 

Call has been relegated in recent weeks almost exclusively to bench duties, starting only four games since June 24. Lauer is still in the Dodgers’ rotation for now, thanks in part to Emmet Sheehan’s demotion to triple-A, but is likely to shift to a bulk-inning bullpen role once Blake Snell and Tyler Glasnow (who both made minor-league rehab outings Tuesday) return to health.

Despite that, both maintained that their preference was to stay with the two-time defending champions.

“There’s an argument to be made for playing somewhere else, and maybe playing more,” Call said. “But the way I look at it is, I am tremendously blessed to be here, to be in the major leagues, and to be on the best team ever. The grass isn’t always greener. And, I do have a tough role, but I like tough things. And to be champions, you need everybody to do their part.

“My part is probably not going to be as large as Shohei Ohtani’s,” he added with a laugh. “But nonetheless, there’s still opportunities for me to have an impact on a championship season. And that’s where my mindset is focused on every day.”

Thus, once the deadline struck at 5 p.m. Central time on Monday, both were informed by the team’s coaching staff that they weren’t going anywhere.

“We talked through every possible scenario,” Lauer said. “And my comfortability level with it, their comfortability level with it, it all just kind of lined up.”


Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters

California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!


Read Entire Article

         

        

HOW TO FIGHT BACK WITH THE 5G  

Protect your whole family with Quantum Orgo-Life® devices

  Advertising by Adpathway